Sunday, November 12, 2006

Book Briefing - ‘Enemy Coast Ahead’


Enemy Coast Ahead - Guy Gibson VC

I first read this classic some years ago but I recently spotted a copy in a second hand book store and with a Peter Jackson remake of The Dambusters in the pipeline I thought a refresher would be useful. Guy Gibson’s first hand and well written account of life in RAF Bomber Squadrons ( and a Night Fighter Squadron !) makes a riveting read as does his description of the Dam raids. What makes it especially fascinating is that it was written before many of the details were in the public domain. I’ve since seen that an Uncensored Edition has just been published. It always surprises me that just when you think you understand a certain subject along comes a new perspective that makes you think again. I’ll probably buy that new edition.

~ Brian Sharpe

No comments: