Monday, October 30, 2006

The Merchant At Warbirds

This was The Merchants first outing. It was a test run, really, to see if other people shared my interest in the products to the point of parting with $$ for them and to see if I could face the public for three days and end up still smiling!

Happily, the answer was yes on both counts. In fact I enjoyed myself so much I was very near the first in the queue to get my booking in for the next show!

I had left all the arrangements to the last minute so I was very light on promotional material and the only accommodation I could arrange was in Cromwell about a 40 min drive from the field.

But meeting so many great people both in the spectator crowds and amongst my fellow exhibitors more than compensated for the shortfalls.

To avoid the traffic I was near the gates at the 6:30 am opening each day and a lasting memory will be sitting out at the runway near sunrise, replete with freshly brewed coffee and bacon sandwich hot off the BBQ, watching the early aircraft movements and anticipating the events of the day.

Fortunately for me, my daughter was able to join me for the last day and a half, which gave a welcome break and a chance to see some of the action on the field. She was also good company at the social events and we departed Wanaka tired but happy campers.

As a result of the Wanaka show I determined to make a far greater commitment to the Merchant concept, which has lead to what you see before you now. The idea now is to visit European Air Shows during the Northern Hemisphere summer and pick up the NZ shows in the Southern Hemisphere summer.

This site has a schedule of forthcoming appearances so if you happen to be at any of these shows please do drop by and say hello – I’ll be very happy to see you.

No comments: